3 Things You Need To Know About Filing Back Taxes

8 October 2019
 Categories: Law, Blog

If you have not filed all of your taxes, you need to make sure that you file your taxes as soon as possible. Your obligation to the IRS is never over, and you can't avoid filing or paying your taxes.  

Gather All the Information You Need  

First, you need to gather all of the information that you need to file your back taxes. That means that you are going to have to get together all of your documents for the year that you didn't file your taxes for. That can take some work, and may require you to dig a little deep if you don't have the information on hand. 

To start with, you are going to need your W2 forms from your job. If you had any other source of income during that time period, you are going to need that documentation as well. For example, you need all earning statements from any stocks or investments that you had. You will need your earning information for any interest that you earned on your savings accounts.  

Depending on your life situation, you may also need information about the property taxes that you paid, the interest you paid on your student loan, and any other relevant financial information about you.  

Learn About the Tax Laws for That Time Period 

Second, you need to learn the tax laws for that time period. Generally, when you are filing back taxes, you are not just going to be able to depend upon an electronic program. Those programs are updated every year with the new tax code. You are going to need to figure out all the tax laws that connect to your taxes.  

Get Help Completing Your Taxes 

Finally, filing back taxes on your own can be really complicated, especially if you don't know that much about taxes. That is why you should hire a tax lawyer to help you complete your back taxes and get on a payment plan to pay back the IRS. A tax lawyer will know all past tax laws, and they will be able to make sure that your back taxes are filled out and calculated correctly. If you have a big tax bill, they will be able to negotiate on your behalf and help you set up a reasonable payment plan with the IRS.  

If you failed to file your taxes for any reason, you need to file them as soon as possible. You need to gather all the information for that tax year. Next, you need to find out about the tax laws for that time period. Then, you need to get help from a tax attorney with completing your back taxes and working on a deal to pay back the IRS for any back taxes that you owe them.