What Can You Do If Ex-Spouse Abandons Things?

8 June 2017
 Categories: Law, Blog

If you recently got divorced and acquired possession of your house through the process, your ex may have things in the house he or she is entitled to. Legally, you must allow your ex to come and take these things when it is convenient for him or her, but what should you do if this never occurs? If you are left with things your ex was supposed to get but hasn't, what should you do? Here are some tips to help you with this.

Give Your Ex Every Opportunity To Get The Items

It may be easier for your ex to get his or her things from the home if you gather them up and place them in a spot where they are all together. You may want to place them in a room in your home, or you could put them in the garage; the key is to put them all together so your ex can get everything he or she is supposed to receive.

You may also want to make sure you are willing to work with your ex to allow him or her to get these things when it is convenient for him or her.

Let Your Ex Know You Have Everything Ready

The second thing you should do is let your ex know you have everything ready. Call, text, or email him or her every week, if necessary, as a reminder about these things. You should continue to do this weekly for several months if you have to. If your ex is not responding to your messages, or if your ex will not come to your home and take the things, you may need to go to court to settle the matter.

Go To Court

You are not legally allowed to dispose of property of your ex-spouse; however, the court might allow you to get rid of the things after a certain time period has passed. At court, you can let the judge know about the steps you have taken to try to get your ex to pick these things up. You can also let the judge know that your ex has not followed through with this.

If the judge believes you have done all you can and that your ex has not followed through with his or her part, the judge might grant you an order that allows you to get rid of the items. At that point, you may have the right to sell or dispose of the items in ways you choose. You cannot do this without a court order.

If you have questions about your divorce and need legal help, contact a divorce lawyer in your city, like Karen Robins Carnegie PLC.